Teaching doesn’t need to be done in traditional classrooms. You can teach in the comfort of your homes. Thanks to the internet, you can teach students from anywhere in the world in virtual classrooms.
Benefits of Teaching ESL Online
1. ESL online teachers can make good money. There are lots of people, children and adult, around the world who like to learn English. The compensation for ESL teachers are competitive so you can earn huge income in teaching English online.
2. Teach in the comforts of your homes. Teaching English online is very convenient. If you are a classroom teacher, you can tell that online teaching is far more convenient than traditional teaching. You teach at home and you do less paper works. There’s no need to feel stressed managing the class every school day and you don’t have to wake up early to prepare your classrooms and to beat the traffic jam. More and more teachers are switching from traditional teaching to online teaching.
3. You can make your own schedule. You can choose the hours of the day when you want to teach. You can even ask for cancellation of your booked classes if you won’t be able to teach on the hours you booked due to emergency or urgent matters. If you are a school teacher, you have to attend your classes regularly and you don’t have the final say on your schedule. Sometimes, your request for a leave of absence will be denied which causes you frustration and anxiety.
4. You can teach anywhere as long as you have access to the internet and computer. You are going to teach in a virtual classroom which means that you can teach anywhere in the world. Your job as an online teacher is not restricted to the physical location of the school/classroom. Even if you are on vacation, you can still have time to teach. You can enjoy your vacation and work at the same time.
5. You can gain valuable ESL experience. The experience you will gain will open more doors of opportunities for you. As an ESL online teacher, you are not limited to teaching. You can be a curriculum writer, resource speaker and a trainer. These are non-teaching jobs which you can do while teaching. However before you will be considered for these positions, you should have first ESL online teaching experience. ESL online teaching is a lucrative business and it keeps on growing.
How To Be an ESL Online Teacher
To be an ESL online teacher, you should meet the following requirements:
1. Bachelor’s Degree
The Ministry of Education in China has released new regulations for all online teaching companies based on China. All ESL teachers should meet the certification requirements. Most if not all ESL companies require their teachers to have Bachelor’s Degree.
2. Internationally-recognized ESL certificates
The following are the recognized ESL certificates:
● TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certificate
● TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate
● TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certificate
● Bachelor’s degree in TESOL/TEFL
● Master’s degree in TESOL/TEFL
Before applying as an ESL online teacher, you should first have ESL certificates. Getting ESL certificates can also be done online and you don’t need to spend years or months just to get certified. There are ESL courses which you can finished in weeks.
3. Technical Requirements
These include your internet speed, computer specifications, webcam, and headset. Most ESL companies require hired-wired internet connection. This is to ensure that you will be able to finish the entire session and not to be switched out in the middle of the class due to poor internet connection.
4. Passion for teaching
You should have the patience, dedication and enthusiasm to teach English to students who have varying levels of English skills. You will be teaching students whose English levels are basic, intermediate and advanced. Most ESL online teachers last in this job because they really love what they do and that is teaching English to students from all around the world.
Here are the list of the best ESL companies which you can work for.
According to their website, the average rate is $22/hr. This is made up of between $7-$9 per 25 minute class, plus incentives. To start your application process, you should create an account and complete a simple form through their website. You will be asked to do short demo lesson and mock class. If you pass, then you will sign your contract and start teaching.
iTutorGroup pays $5-$24 per hour. Your rate per hour is your base rate plus your incentives. You will be teaching juniors to adults with varying English levels. They require applicants to have ESL certificates, Bachelor’s Degree or higher, and internet speed with 10 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.
Qkids pays an hourly rate of $16-$20. ESL certification and a Bachelor’s Degree or higher are required. Your minimum internet speed should be 10 Mbps download/2Mbpsupload. You will be teaching children between 4-12 years old. Qkids connects 800,000+ Chinese young learners to their teachers.
4. Magic Ears
Magic Ear pays their teachers $20-$26 per hour. ESL certificates and Bachelor’s Degree or higher are required. The internet speed requirement is 10 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. Their teachers teach students ages 4-12. They provide a unique 1-on-4 classroom that creates a fun and effective learning environment.
Dada pays their teachers $15 – 25 per hr. ESL certificates and Bachelor’s Degree or higher are required. The internet speed requirement is 10 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. The contract length is 6-12 months. They also require 1 year teaching experience. The student levels are early childhood, elementary, middle school, and high school.
Palfish rate is $10-$30 per hour. The download and upload speed should be 12 Mbps and 4 Mbps respectively. Palfish have different class types: Free talk and live streaming and Palfish official Kids course. For free talk and live streaming, no degree, certificate and teaching experience required. For Official Kids course, teachers should have TESOL/TEFL certificates.
Sayabc pays their teachers $15-$28/hour. All lessons are group lessons of four students. They require their teachers to have Associate or Bachelor’s Degree. They require a three-month contract that can be renewed depending on your teaching performance, how you meet their students’ needs and if you have followed their policies.